Saturday, May 21, 2011

Super Charged Weekend! and Thank you :)

So far since being in Japan I have managed to not go to far from my new home or do anything too extravagant, but this weekend I decided it was time to let loose a little. Some great people in Minakuchi have made this weekend super special for me, and I'm glad to be able to get to know them.

On Friday at work one of my JTEs invited me over to her home for dinner that night. A few weeks ago I travelled to Kyoto with this teacher and her daughter, who is also my age. Friday night dinner was very enjoyable! Okonomiyaki with squid and pork. Mmmm... Followed by some WiiSports (I fail at tennis, but I can sort of succeed at bowling.... Miki is very good at both!) and then this lovely surprise:

Having been asked my birthday by pretty much every class in the school, Nakajima-sensei apparently remembered. I was so touched by her kindness. She and her family are genuinely sweet people and I hope to get to know them better in the future. Next time, I get to cook!

Knowing the weather was going to be beautiful this weekend, I had decided to travel to Kyoto with a fellow ALT who lives in the actual town of Koka, the NINJA VILLAGE! I met many of the JET ALTs at an Easter picnic on Lake Biwa a few weeks back. Ann has been helping me find things to do and important places in the area. We got to Kyoto late in the morning and strolled leisurely around Kiyomizu-dera. SO MANY TOURISTS. A few hours later on our way back down, we happened upon a small boutique that was having a sale where you could be made up as a geisha. I would never have thought to do this, but it was super cheap and definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity, so why not?! Definitely glad I did. I have a few professional pictures as a result, which still need to be scanned into a computer. I also have some shots that I took with my digital camera. Here's the results of two hours of make-up and wrapping:
Don't ask me what my facial expression is... I could not tell you.


SUMO!
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Geisha?
This make up was so difficult to get off!!

Following this random adventure was dinner in Teramachi at a Ninja Buffet. The waiters and waitresses were all dressed up as Ninja and there was a lot of merchandise for sale. It wast tasty that was definitely needed after not being able to breathe for the last two hours. Interspersed through the day was shoppinguuu and lots of Kyoto omiyage (souvenir) taste testing. Mochi, tsukemono (pickles) and ice cream! After dinner we ran into a bunch of other Shiga area JETs. In an area as big as Kyoto, it's funny how apparently all of the ALTs know each other.

Today it's rainy, but I am enjoying the day relaxing in my little apartment. I feel lucky that I am working alongside some great people and am very grateful to have experiences like I did this weekend. Sometimes it just hits me: I'm in JAPAN?! How and when exactly did that happen?? I am very lucky to be here and so thankful for everyone in my life.

I am also incredibly thankful to all of my friends and especially my family back in the US who continue to support me and are always there for me. You all mean so much to me! I miss everyone a lot and I am so glad when I get to hear what everyone is up to and how people are doing. How did I get so may amazing people in my life? <3 All of your messages definitely made this weekend a special one. Thank you!! どうもありがとう!

I hope all is well with everyone. Miss you!!

1 comment:

Disqus for This is me.