Sunday, February 06, 2011

Exciting Adventures Return

It's been a while since I updated. It isn't for lack of new things happening in my life, but more due to a lack of time or motivation on my part >.< Recently I have heard back from Interac, a company that employs ALTs (Assistant Language Teachers) to teach English all across Japan. This March I will be returning to Shiga, Japan! In light of this development I thought it would be a good idea to restart this blog.

Since I have last written I finished my last semester of college and graduated with a B.A. in Asian Languages and Cultures. Although it seems like college went by in the blink of an eye, four years have passed. I miss being in Geneva and I miss all of my friends there, but we have all moved on to a very exciting chapter of our lives. I spent the summer in Vermont and traveling to see family in different parts of the country. With my goal (to teach in Japan) in mind, I took a month long course to help me be able to better teach English. What I initially considered as a simple stepping stone was an amazing experience in which I learned so many things about myself. I met some great people and had a trying, amazing, and horrible experience. I ended the month of September with many new friends, great memories, and a Trinity CertTESOL certificate.

In the interim between Toronto and Japan I have been working at the local health food/grocery store in the Deli. I slice meats and cheese, make killer sandwiches, and other related odd jobs. It's a great place with good people and I am lucky and grateful that I was able to find such a good place to work. I have two weeks left at City Market and I will hate to say goodbye, but I am excited for the next exciting adventure that is in store for me.

Although I don't know too many exact details about my job in Japan yet, I do have a tentative location. I will be placed in Koka in the Shiga prefecture. Koka is known for being the home of the Koga ninja clan  and for it's unique ceramics.

In the map above, the highlighted area is the city of Koka. The white section in the middle of the map is Lake Biwa, Japan's largest freshwater lake.

Minakuchi Castle in Koka, Shiga, Japan.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for This is me.