Thursday, December 10, 2009

最後の週が来ました!何、これ?...things that I will miss about Japan.

It's the end of the last week of classes, and I can't believe it. How did it become December so quickly? I have had so many amazing experiences over the past three and a half months. I am going to be very sad to leave Japan and all of my new friends, but I will be glad to be back in America and to see everyone I love there! Looking back on my arrival here, I have learned a lot in such a short time. There are many things that I have learned to love about Japan, and I will definitely miss them.

  1. Japan's landscape. I am used to mountains and lakes, but the landscape of Japan is completely different from anything I have seen anywhere else. The plants and trees are beautiful and the mountains are a constant presence. JCMU is on the edge of Lake Biwa, and I will definitely miss seeing the sunset over the water with the mountains in the background. I will also miss walking/driving along roads and seeing the fields of rice. 
  2. Japanese Temples and Shrines. I love being able to walk around in a crowded metropolitan area and still see small side streets with little shrines or temples. It is so unique to Japan and they are always so beautiful. The large shrines and temples have such a rich history that no building in America can possibly compare to. Religion has been consistently tied into Japan's long history. It is amazing to see that while Japan is a quickly developing country, the majority of people still hold their traditional beliefs and honor their faith. The expression of faith in Japan is so different from how it appears in America. 
  3. My New Friends. This is a big one. I have met so many amazing people here that I am very sad to leave behind. When we first arrived here we were all strangers, but I feel that learning so much and struggling to adjust to living in a foreign country has brought us closer together. There are so many memories that I will not forget. I hope to keep in touch with everyone and I will definitely have to plan a trip to Michigan sometime in the future. I now have many reasons to visit! 
  4. My Host Family. One of the best experiences I have had while being in Japan is staying with my host family, the Tatsumi's. They are some of the kindest people I have met, and they gladly opened their home and their lives to let me in. I was able to do so many new and different things with their help. They took me to family gatherings, temples, and to view leaves. Most of all, they made me feel very welcome and at home in their house. I definitely won't forget them, and I hope they know how grateful I am to have stayed with them. 
  5. Japanese Food. I officially love Japanese food, and I am going to be very sad to not be able to find soba, udon, ramen, takoyaki, okanomiyaki, daikon, miso soup, and curry in pretty much any town that I visit. The food here is for the most part healthy, and I have been eating a lot better while in Japan. There are very few sweets, but lots of fruits, vegetables, fish, and RICE! I have almost completely been cut off from soda, ice cream, and all of the junk foods that I love back home. Although I will definitely be happy to have American food (because I have missed it as well), I will definitely really miss Japanese cuisine. 
  6. Speaking and Learning the Japanese Language. Although I have not experienced total immersion, the constant exposure to Japanese has allowed me to learn better than I would in a classroom setting. This is to be expected, but it is still going to be very strange to come back to a country where everyone understands what I am saying. 
  7. Public Transportation. Japan's public transportation system is incredibly convenient and ALWAYS runs on time. The only time that I experienced the trains being late was because someone had committed suicide by jumping in front of the tracks. (This is usually the only reason that the trains begin to run late. The Japanese even have a word for it, although I forget what it is.) Between buses and trains, you can get just about anywhere you need to go without having a car. 
  8. The Cities. Hikone is in a great location. Although it is a small town it is within a close train ride from Kyoto, Osaka, and Kobe. There are plenty of great places to visit in Japan, and I wish I was able to see more. 
I'm sure that there are plenty more things that I am going to miss about Japan, but I for now this is all I can think of. If I can think of more I will definitely update this post, but for now I'm going to go and enjoy my last week in Japan. お休み!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Disqus for This is me.