Although they say that April showers bring May flowers, it seems like in Minakuchi April showers bring beautiful blooming cherry trees. It’s cherry blossom season in Kansai and everywhere I look I can see flowers blooming. It’s still between 15 and 18 degrees (celsius), so the flowers are a lovely reminder that spring is on its way.
| Minakuchi Sunshine |
It’s hard for me to believe that last year at this time I had just arrived in Minakuchi. I remember my school being overwhelmingly large and any shopping trip or social interaction a feat of accomplishment. Seeing the cherry blossoms last year was very therapeutic and relaxing. Now that I’m seeing them for the second time, I’m reminded of how much I’ve actually accomplished during this year. I am friendly with my co-workers. I can hold conversations confidently in (mistake-ridden) Japanese. I recognize my students by year, and some by name. I have established some sort of presence for myself. I understand (vaguely) the system in which things are happening around me. I’m sure it doesn’t mean much to anyone but me, but I’ll take the small victories.
I still have a ways to go and lots to learn, but first I’m going to sit some more underneath the flowers… ^^
No comments:
Post a Comment