The hoozi that I attended was for my Host Mother's father. It was the one year anniversary of his death and all of his family members gathered together to pray and remember him together. When we arrived I met a bunch of my Host Mother's relatives and was served a cup of tea while more and more people started to arrive. Soon the house was crowded with people wearing black. The main room of the house was a large tatami room. Japanese houses are generally not too large, and this was the most spacious one I have seen yet. The Butsudan (the traditional Buddhist alter that commemorates the spirits of a family's ancestors) was open and decorated. There were offerings of food and sake, as well as pictures of my Host Mother's father. Cushions were placed throughout the room, and when everyone had arrived the ceremony began. Because it was a formal occasion, everyone was sitting in the seiza position, which is when you sit with your legs tucked underneath you. My Japanese teacher told us that this is the position that Japanese people have to sit in during formal occasions. The Japanese don't expect foreigners to be able to sit in the seiza position for a long period of time. It can make your legs fall asleep and can be hard to maintain.
The ceremony was about an hour and a half long. A Buddhist Priest officiated; he chanted prayers and burned incense. I didn't follow what he was saying, but I could tell that it was a very solemn occasion. Towards the end of the ceremony, members of the family brought everyone a tray with a cup of green tea and some traditional Japanese sweets. It reminded me of taking communion because it seemed to be a ritual part of the memorial service. As people were drinking their tea an incense box was passed around and each individual threw some incense powder (I think...) onto the burning incense before praying and bowing their head to the box. After this, one of the Uncles stood up and announced the schedule for the rest of the day.
Next, we traveled to the graveyard. Before the memorial service the family had cleaned the grave and decorated it with flowers and prayer plaques. The Priest offered prayers and more incense was burned. Each member of the family approached the gravestone and prayed, bowed, and sprinkled some water on the grave from a bowl nearby.
By this time it was around noon, so the whole party reconvened at a restaurant for lunch. They served everyone a Japanese bento box filled with sushi and tempura, along with miso soup, and of course tea. Everyone ate, talked, and had a good time. At this point it seemed more like a celebration and less like a solemn affair. The priest came to lunch as well, joining the family in their celebrations.
I feel so lucky that I was permitted to join my host family for this special occasion. Although they probably normally wouldn't allow outsiders to this type of family gathering, they probably made an exception because I am a foreigner. Professor Holland told us before we left that this often happens. Because the Japanese people know we will not get opportunities to partake in many traditional Japanese events (such as memorial services, weddings, etc.) we are given an exemption from the general rule that makes these occasions limited to the family or in-group.
On another note, check out the link when you click on the title of the blogpost. It should take you to HWS This week in Photos. If you scroll through the photos far enough you will see Joelle and I outside of Kinkakuzi while visiting Kyoto!
The ceremony was about an hour and a half long. A Buddhist Priest officiated; he chanted prayers and burned incense. I didn't follow what he was saying, but I could tell that it was a very solemn occasion. Towards the end of the ceremony, members of the family brought everyone a tray with a cup of green tea and some traditional Japanese sweets. It reminded me of taking communion because it seemed to be a ritual part of the memorial service. As people were drinking their tea an incense box was passed around and each individual threw some incense powder (I think...) onto the burning incense before praying and bowing their head to the box. After this, one of the Uncles stood up and announced the schedule for the rest of the day.
Next, we traveled to the graveyard. Before the memorial service the family had cleaned the grave and decorated it with flowers and prayer plaques. The Priest offered prayers and more incense was burned. Each member of the family approached the gravestone and prayed, bowed, and sprinkled some water on the grave from a bowl nearby.
By this time it was around noon, so the whole party reconvened at a restaurant for lunch. They served everyone a Japanese bento box filled with sushi and tempura, along with miso soup, and of course tea. Everyone ate, talked, and had a good time. At this point it seemed more like a celebration and less like a solemn affair. The priest came to lunch as well, joining the family in their celebrations.
I feel so lucky that I was permitted to join my host family for this special occasion. Although they probably normally wouldn't allow outsiders to this type of family gathering, they probably made an exception because I am a foreigner. Professor Holland told us before we left that this often happens. Because the Japanese people know we will not get opportunities to partake in many traditional Japanese events (such as memorial services, weddings, etc.) we are given an exemption from the general rule that makes these occasions limited to the family or in-group.
On another note, check out the link when you click on the title of the blogpost. It should take you to HWS This week in Photos. If you scroll through the photos far enough you will see Joelle and I outside of Kinkakuzi while visiting Kyoto!
Sounds like an amazing experience, it's interesting to me how similar it seems to how we in the west mourn. Sure some of the details are different but on the whole it seems to me that on the whole most human beings mourn their lost loved ones in much the same way. It's comforting to think that no matter how different we think we are when it comes to our most basic rituals we really aren't that different at all, thank you so much for sharing this experience with me and everyone else reading this.
ReplyDelete