
Yesterday I participated in a trip to Taga town where a group of JCMU students and children from the area helped to weed a clearing of Sakura saplings on top of a mountain. The kids were really adorable. I tried to speak a little Japanese to them, but I have found it difficult to get into the habit of speaking. My vocabulary is limited and a lot of the common verbals that are used I am not familiar with. I am making it a mission from now on to write down any new vocabulary that I come across that may be helpful in the future. For example, today I learned that the Japanese word for picture is "syasin". To say ”I'm taking a picture” the correct phrase would (I think) be "Syasin o torimasu" or 写真を撮ります。It's been useful to know if I want to take someones picture or a picture of something that might be sensitive.

After hiking down the mountain and having a delicious Japanese lunch we traveled back towards JCMU. On our way back we stopped at a shrine in the area. Before entering the shrine you have to wash your hands in a special water to cleans yourself of any sins that you may have unconsciously committed. Once this is completed, you may go before the shrine. In front of the shrine you clap twice and bow once. Clapping is seen as a way of communicating with the Kami, or God, of the particular shrine. Depending on the type of ceremony being performed at a shrine, the number of times that a person bows and claps may change.

Today all of the students are going to be taught how to cook some basic Japanese meals so that we can survive the long semester without living off of cup noodles (not that that would be a BAD thing, persay... haha). Other than that, it's homework and studying for me! Tomorrow is the start of a long week of academic catch-up and classes so I better get prepared!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I love this blog. Is Chara the red creature or the grey one? I'm guessing the red one but then who is the other one?
ReplyDeleteHello, I am stalking you now thanks to your mom. Just a head's up >XD
ReplyDeleteThe area you live in looks beautiful and it sounds amazing. I'm so jealous! Also I think it's funny that the prefectures have (cute) mascots.
Now you can go to anime conventions and ask people for pictures! I like your thinking ;)